Is your kitchen looking dull after years of use? By using high-gloss acrylic kitchen cabinets, you can easily give it a much-needed facelift and brighten it up instantly. The glossy finish of the cabinets, resembling a mirror, will add a vibrant and beautiful touch to your kitchen design that will last for years.
Interested in learning about acrylic kitchens? This article provides a detailed overview of acrylic finishes, including their uses, types, and benefits, with a special focus on acrylic kitchen cabinets, which have become a popular option in recent times.
What is Acrylic?
In simple terms, acrylic is a reflective coating that imparts a smooth and highly glossy finish to kitchen cabinets. This premium synthetic material boasts a flawless mirror-like surface that is highly durable and resistant to shattering, chipping, and cracking. With a diverse selection of colors available, an acrylic sheet is an excellent choice for elevating the appearance of your kitchen.
What Are the Main Uses of Acrylic Finishes?
Acrylic, being a finishing material, has the versatility to be applied to the surfaces of various modular furniture pieces. However, it is most commonly used to enhance the aesthetics of kitchen designs and wardrobes.
Since kitchen cabinets have the highest impact on the overall design of the space, you can enhance your design with acrylic kitchen cabinets.
Types of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
There are two primary types of acrylic kitchen cabinets that you can choose for your home:
- Solid acrylic doors
- Acrylic-faced doors.
The former is typically more expensive as it is made entirely of acrylic, resulting in a richer and more uniform color appearance. Acrylic-faced doors, on the other hand, are a more cost-effective option.
The process of applying acrylic sheets to kitchen shutters is quite elaborate, involving the pasting of sheets onto MDF kitchen cabinets and sealing the edges with edge bands. The end result is a customized acrylic kitchen design that meets your specific needs and requirements, be it aesthetics or functionality.
The Main Characteristics of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinet Doors
Kitchen cabinet doors featuring an acrylic finish offer excellent resistance to weather, acids, and alkalis. They do not turn yellow or hydrolyze due to prolonged exposure to sun and rain, and have a long service life of over three years, surpassing that of other materials. They transmit light very efficiently, up to 92%, requiring less illuminating energy.
Moreover, acrylic cabinet doors are highly impact-resistant, sixteen times more than ordinary glass, making them suitable for installation in high-risk areas. They can withstand harsh environmental conditions and remain unchanged in performance, even after prolonged exposure to sunlight, wind, and rain. They also have excellent anti-aging properties, enabling safe outdoor use, and are lightweight, weighing less than ordinary glass.
Acrylic kitchen cabinets boast vibrant colors and high brightness, surpassing other materials in this regard. They offer strong plasticity and can easily be processed and shaped, making them highly suitable for cabinets. Additionally, this material can be recycled, aligning with increasing environmental awareness.
Pros and Cons of Kitchen Cabinets With Acrylic Finish
Now, let’s look deeper into the pros and cons of acrylic kitchen cabinets.
Advantages of Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets:
- Aesthetics: Offers an ultra-glossy, welcoming look to the kitchen and creates a stunning textural contrast with various backsplash materials.
- Durability: Resistant to wear and tear and known for its moisture, UV light, and scratch-resistant nature.
- Variety: Available in a wide range of colors and offers excellent potential for customization.
- Longevity: It retains its color and brightness for several years.
- Easy cleaning: Can be easily cleaned using mild soap and water.
- Non-toxic: Harmless even after prolonged contact with humans, although incomplete combustion can produce formaldehyde and carbon monoxide.
- Good processing performance: Suitable for processing and thermoforming; can also be painted, and other patterns can be screen printed on it.
- Aesthetics: Fingerprint marks, dirt, and stains are easily visible on the glossy surface and require regular cleaning.
- Cost: As a premium finish, acrylic is more expensive than other finishes.
- Difficulties in replacement: Replacement of kitchen cabinet doors of the same hue after years of use may result in shading differences.
Laminate vs. Acrylic Cabinets
When selecting a high-gloss cabinet, consider that a high-gloss laminate may not be as reflective as an acrylic one and has a more subdued style. Laminate finishes are produced in factories by pressing layers of paper and high-quality plastic resins together and offer a more comprehensive range of colors and textures, including glossy, matte, and ultra-high gloss. Additionally, laminates are less expensive than acrylic finishes.
Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets Cost
The cost of materials and installation for acrylic kitchen cabinets usually falls within $5,000 to $20,000, which can vary depending on the base material and number of cabinets.
When the acrylic finish is applied to an MDF substrate, it tends to be less expensive than cabinets made of solid wood. It’s important to note that while this premium finish is more costly than wood veneers and laminates, it’s still more affordable than natural wood cabinets or stainless steel kitchen cabinets.
Does it Worth the Price?
Acrylic is a versatile material that comes in a wide range of colors, providing consumers with extensive options. The surface of the acrylic can be easily processed to meet various needs.
Despite the higher cost of acrylic cabinets, they offer exceptional functionality and durability, providing excellent value for money. Proper maintenance can extend their lifespan even further.
How to Maintain Acrylic Cabinets?
Let me share some helpful tips for maintaining your acrylic kitchen design with you:
- Protect from direct sunlight: To prevent yellowing and damage, avoiding direct sunlight on your acrylic cabinets is important.
- Regular Cleaning: Use a soft cloth and mild soap to clean your acrylic cabinets regularly. Remember to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, which can damage the surface.
- Be gentle when cleaning: Avoid dry wiping the surface, as it can leave scratches. Instead, moisten the cloth with water or mild soap.
- Avoid harsh chemical cleaners: Avoid harsh chemical cleaners, such as bleach or ammonia, which can damage the acrylic material.
By following these simple and easy tips, you can keep your acrylic kitchen cabinets looking beautiful for years to come!
Tips for Choosing a Perfect Color for Your Acrylic Kitchen Cabinets
To ensure you choose the right colors for your acrylic kitchen design, consider these helpful tips before we discuss the price per sq. ft.:
- Space Availability – If you have a small kitchen, lighter colors can make it look more spacious.
- Natural Lighting – Enhance the natural light in your kitchen by selecting a color palette that complements it.
- Coordinate with Backsplash and Countertop – Make sure your cabinets match the color of your backsplash and countertop for a cohesive look.
- Reflect Your Personality – Your kitchen should reflect your personality and style, so choose a color that resonates with you.